Re: [Kind of OT] Why's this look like gibberish to me?

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 10:20:32PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> The problem, if one exists, is what font the terminal is using
>   sudo apt-get install xfonts-efont-unicode xfonts-efont-unicode-ib

What about the linux console?

I suspect that the answer will be that the linux console is right now
not able to display at the same time eastern european, asiatic, arabic
and hebrev characters (perhaps unless one uses someting experimental
like uterm whose source seems to not be available at its homepage
http://members.aceweb.com/hanpaul/ ).

So the next question is:

What is the combination of "decent" X-terminal and font (and screen
resolution for X, and refresh rate) such that, when run in a window
manager which is able to use full screen windoes (like ratpoison, icewm,
evilwm and many others) looks the *same* as a linux ("standard" or
framebuffer) console?

I was never be able to find nor a decent terminal nor a decent (i.e.
console like) font.

(a terminal which uses gnome or kde libraries is not decent for my
pourposes. gtk only or qt only might or might not be. xlib only surely
is)