Re: Clearing SWAP

On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 01:10:00PM -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Sun May 4 2008, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > For her password only, couldn't you use one of those low-security thumb
> > readers or a USB key instead of a password?
>
> she has a USB stick.. how would that work?? Her new Inspiron doesn't  have the
> thumb reader, the XPS does..

Give her a one-character username.

Read the pam doc manual (I forget the package name, but it is a separate
package and you get an html document).  Also search aptitude for libpam
and ~dusb.  I'm sure there's some way to have a usb key have a file on
it that functions like a typed-in password.  IIRC, on login, she would:

login:

insert her usb key
hit "W" (her one-letter user name)
hit enter.

pam will look for the usb key and do its magic.

I believe it can also be set up that to log-out (after saving her work),
she just has to remove the key, but I'm not sure.

This obviously has security implications if she leaves that key lying
around.  There's no point password-protecting the key since that would
defeat the purpose of, as someone suggested, supporting your wife's
weenieness.

Back in the day, the hospital at which I worked had terminals and to
login, you had to slide in your ID card to get a login: then username
and password.  Pulling the card logged you out.  You were supposed to
keep wearing the card while you worked incase you had to get up, you
were logged-out.

Doug.