Re: usb to serial

Daniel Dalton wrote:
> - a supported usb to serial cable for linux that works with the kernel?
> (If so could you please provide a model number or brand?) Or even better
> if you know where I can get one of these from?

I bought two of "Parallax USB to 232 Serial Adapter" recently and they
work very well for me.  Here is a URL to where I bought them.

  http://www.hobbyengineering.com/H3284.html

It is a very small PC board with a mini USB B connector on one side
and a 9-pin male rs-232 connector on the other side.  It has a clear
tube shell around it and the components can be seen through it giving
it an "engineering" use look.  Use a commonly available USB A to
mini-B cable to connect it to the USB port.  It uses the ftdi_sio
driver natively in the Linux kernel.  When attached to a system udev
will create /dev/ttyUSB0 automatically.  It works very well for me.

Other products have been available that use the same FTDI chip but are
packaged in different types of packaging.  I think that anything that
uses the FTDI chips will be compatible with the drivers in the Linux
kernel.

Hope that helps,
Bob