Re: HELP - Can't boot - I/O error reading swsusp.image

On 5/4/08, NN_il_Confusionario <pinkof.pallus@tiscalinet.it> wrote:
> On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 08:29:31AM -0400, wa9als@gmail.com wrote:
> > I did a fresh etch install, then restored some
> > mondo backup files using mondorestore.
>
> I do not use mondo; so I ask: are you sure that mondorestore does not
> change the partition table? Are you sure that the files you restored are
> not responsable for the apparence of swsusp in the boot process?

Yes, I'm sure mondorestore doesn't change the partitions (not using
the nuke option, just restoring files, and I've done that part before
successfully).

> > that point.  But then I did an update and upgrade, and now I am
> > getting the same swsusp error I had before and can't boot!
>
> check in the bootloader prompt the kernel command line. If there is
> something related to resuming a suspended session, delete it. Also, boot
> in single user mode or even with init=/bin/bash (and then "mount -o
> remount,rw /") and purge any package related to swsusp ("apt-cache
> search swsusp" gives me only the package uswsusp). If all seems to fail,
> boot with a live cd (or the debian installation cd in rescue mode),
> mount your disk, chroot where the disc is mounted, purge uswsusp, edit
> the boot loader configuration (possibly menu.lst in /boot/grub/, but it
> depends upon your boot loader), reinstall the kernel (to recreate the
> initrd) and the boot loader
>
> There is absolutely NO need to reinstall once again (unless you have
> severely messed up your partition table and filesysetems, or things like
> that).

Thanks for options with swsusp.  The partition table is definately
messed up.  I should only have one ext3 and a swap partition, but
there is an additional partition that I don't understand at all.
Anyway, I am starting over this time.  After the new install, I will
look for uswsusp and get rid of it to hopefully avoid problems in the
future.  As far as the files I restored and how they might relate to
swsusp, I have no idea.  I just know the server had none of these
problems for months, and now they show up.  Unfortunately, I don't
know the key thing that happened.  It should NOT have been related to
a file I restored anyway.

Since I'm starting over, let's drop this thread.  Hopefully I won't be
back, but I will if swsusp shows up again!  - John