Re: virtual text consoles gone

On Fri, 02 May 2008 16:27:10 -0400, Brian McKee wrote:

> On 2-May-08, at 4:06 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>> On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 10:26:02 -0400, hendrik wrote:
>>> On my AMD64 etch system, cntl-alt-F1 has stopped giving me a text
>>> console a month or two ago.
>
>> Today the vertual text consoles are back.  No explanation.
>
> Doug Tutty gave up trying to instantiate them :-)
>
> There was an intel video driver bug on u***u
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/
> +bug/182865>
> but I didn't mention as I didn't figure you had intel video with AMD
> chipset.  Maybe your video driver had a similar issue.
>
> Brian

I have an nvidia video chip, and am using free drivers.  NOT the nvidia
proprietary ones.  They worked fine, then I lost the virtual text
consoles, now they are back.  Rebooting and kernel upgrades did not seem
to make a difference, but now, suddenly, they are back.  This is good.  I
hate doing kernel or X upgrades while running as root in an xterm.

I'm still having random kernel panic upon reboot, though, as mentioned
elsewhere.  I'm afraid to reboot in case I can't.  I now make a full
backup of all user files onto a USB drive before every reboot.

Just in case.

-- hendrik