Re: usb to serial

On Sun, 4 May 2008, Celejar wrote:

These adaptors are 'smart', i.e. they contain electronics to do the
conversion, so as with hardware generally with linux, what counts is
the chipset.  I believe that many of these devices use the Prolific
PL2303 chipset, which shows up with 'lsusb', at least in my case, as
"ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port".  This
chipset has kernel support via the pl2303 driver.  I have another
adaptor whose ID apparently isn't in the database; nothing shows up
other than the numerical ID.  It is also grabbed by pl2303 (although
IIANM, that wasn't the case several months ago, when I first acquired
it), but it doesn't seem to be working properly, as opposed to the
Prolific one, which works fine.

I purchased both my adaptors on Ebay.  They are virtually identical in
appearance, except for color; both have attractive silver cables

Thanks to everyone that replied!

I found this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-to-RS232-Serial-DB9-9-Pin-Cable-Adapter-Converter_W0QQitemZ140230142593QQihZ004QQcategoryZ41995QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Will this work for what I want?
(my braille display has a standard serial port on it.)
Note that the serial port on my braille note has mail converters (so has pins in it not holes)

Will this work for what I want?

If you can get back to me before the add ends I will get it.

Thanks.

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/