full control of connections

Hello,

I used to run kernel 2.6.13 because it had the old iptables, that
allowed to include the applications in the firewall rules.

Since 2.6.13 is a bit old I decided to leave it behind. However, I like
the functionality. I want to be able to select which applications can
connect to the Internet, preferably controlling address and port too.

You might wonder why. Application running on wine should never connect
anywhere, email spammers use all kinds of tricks to see if I open the
message, some applications call home, etc. I do not want that.

Does Debian have a usable mechanism to control network connectivity on a
per-application base? I looked into selinux once, but that was a real
pain.

Thank you,
F.