Re: device names

On Sat, May 03, 2008 at 05:31:48PM -0500, Mark Allums wrote:
> ChadDavis wrote:
>> After a new lenny installation on a new motherboard, my PATA drive came
>> up as 'sdb'.  I expected hda.  I don't really care, but it does lead me
>> to wonder how these names get doled out by the system.  Can someone
>> explain, or refer me to a good explanation, of how hardware is
>> discovered and named.

libata unifies access to disks (pata and sata) and is bound into a scsi
subsystem, so all the device names become scsi device names.

> This is a good question, and I second the question.  I installed kubuntu
> on a VMware Workstation VM, and even though VMware was emulating an IDE
> disk, during installation, the "hard disk" was named 'sda'.
>
> Now, I know that VMware is different from bare metal, and kubuntu is
> different from Debian, but the question remains.
>
> I assume it has to do with kernel modules and hardware detection and
> other esoterica, but a good, concise explanation would be welcomed.

device name is just a name. creating is done by udevd daemon on modern systems. they
are bound into kernel by major/minor number associated with the given device
name(ls -l /dev/*).

mk