growisofs not writing dual-layer DVDs on Philips PBDV1640P

Trying to write a dual-layer DVD on a Philips PBDV1640P
fails to start the second layer. It writes the first layer
fine and then fails with

:-[ WRITE@LBA=1fa500h failed with SK=0h/ASC=00h/ACQ=02h]: Input/output error
:-( write failed: Input/output error

Google not only fails to find any helpful results, it
hardly finds any results at all. And with dual layer
blanks costing 2 quid each experimenting with this
is going to get very expensive.

-use-the-force-luke=dummy doesn't work, either. It
still writes to the DVD so I can't use that to
experiment.

Anyone know if I have any software options or do I
have to bite the bullet and buy a new DVD writer?

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons
           Pigeon's Nest - http://pigeonsnest.co.uk/