Re: software raid5 array degrades from initrd

also sprach Dexter Filmore <Dexter.Filmore@gmx.de> [2008.05.02.1345 +0100]:
> Two resyncs later I decided to reconf mdadm to *not* start from
> the initrd and not auto-assemble at boot time. I then assembled
> the array manually and tadaa, all fine, array works and is synced.
>
> Now: what's going on here? both onboard 3114 and pci 3114
> controllers are handled by the same kernel module, so either
> initrd sees all or none. Why would it not wanna see the 5th disk
> from initrd, but when I manually assemble, it's fine?

Please provide full logs of what happens when the initrd script
runs.

Also, please provide the output of

  /usr/share/bug/mdadm/script 3>&1

run as root.

half a bee, philosophically, must ipso facto half not be.
but half the bee has got to be, vis-a-vis its entity. you see?
but can a bee be said to be or not to be an entire bee,
when half the bee is not a bee, due to some ancient injury?
                                                       -- monty python