Re: What can I do with an unloaded partitioned data set on Linux?

On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 02:34:14AM +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Thu, 01 May 2008 21:11:21 -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> > Well, Debian has a -360 list, just as it has an -amd64 list.  Don't the
> > -360 people lurk here with the rest of us mere mortals?
>
> I'm having trouble finding a Debian 360 list.  It doesn't seem to be on
> the list of Debian mailing lists.  Of course, I may just have failed my
> search fu.

Sorry, Debian runs on 390's.  That would be the debian-s390 mailing
list:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-s390/

The emulator package that may be helpful (either to read your data set
or to provide a source for further documentation) is hercules.  Note
that hercules only provides the virtual hardware.  I don't suppose you
kept a copy of OS/360 with those old tapes?

For all I know, you can get the software you need off the internet.  Or,
if modern debian-s390 provides the services to read the dataset, you may
be able to install debian into a hercules s390.  Hercules can apparently
emulate a 360/370/390.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Doug.