Re: Kernel source packages..

Many thanks to David, NN_il_Confusion and martin for their suggestions,
in particular..

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 08:24:09PM -0700, David Witbrodt wrote:

> The book is great, but already a bit out of date.
> Krafft has a website (not recently updated) which
> includes error corrections and new information here:
>
> http://debiansystem.info
.
.

Excellent! Very glad to know about that we site. Thanks! (and to Martin
for setting it up)

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 07:05:33AM +0200, NN_il_Confusionario wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 12:52:41AM +0000, Digby Tarvin wrote:
> > Can anyone shed any light on the differences between the
> > various kernel source packages in the repository,
>
> kernel-source-* are for sarge and below
> linux-source-* are for etch and beyond
> Then do
> apt-cache show $PACKAGE
> and read the Description:
> (for example, difference between linux-source-2.6.18 and linux-tree-2.6.18)
.
.

I'm still a bit of a newbie with the Debian package management stuff.
Obviously a bit more reading to do, but it is nice to know there are
ways to get the answers to these things... thanks for the clues as to
where to look..

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 08:19:41AM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:

> Try linux-source-*. The kernel packaging has changed substantially
> since my book was published.
>
> I am working on a new edition. Unfortunately, I cannot foresee
> a release date yet.

Must be quite a job keeping up with a moving target like the
Debian system...

I hate the thought of throwing away my well thumbed first edition,
but I suppose it is inevitable. Maybe you should think of putting out
a yearly addendum between editions. I'd subscribe ;)

Are there, incidentally, any journals out there that are particulalry
good for debian users?

> > Can anyone explain what the reasonaing is behind this
> > organization?
>
> Did you see kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org?

Thanks, stumbled across a link to this on the debian.org site after
I sent the original message. Still reading...

Regards,
DigbyT