Re: bits/news from the users of Debian?

Goupil wrote:

>> Lars Bjerregaard wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I saw a link to your survey from LWN, and wanted to reply to it because
>>> of it's
>>> friendly and inviting tone. I'm not subscribed to the list (but maybe I
>>> should
>>> do that...).
>>>
>>> I first touched a set of Linux diskettes around 1995, and have been
>>> dabbling
>>> with it on and off since then, with increasing intensity. About 4 years
>>> ago, I
>>> took the plunge and became a 100% Linux user on my home desktop, and I
>>> haven't
>>> regretted it for a minute. I'm a professional systems developer, and do
>>> some
>>> measure of system administration as well. I grew up in the world of DOS
>>> and
>>> Windows, and so Unix was not my "entry by birth" into the world of
>>> computing. By
>>> now I certainly am addicted to the 'Unix way', although I am forced to
>>> use
>>> Windows at my work.
>>>
>>> I keep track of all things Linux and FOSS intensively, and find that by
>>> far the
>>> most interesting things in computing go on in this huge ecosystem. It is
>>> also
>>> close to my heart in terms of philosophy and ethics.
>>>
>>> I think during the years I've been trough most of the major
>>> distributions:
>>> Redhat, Suse, Gentoo, Ubuntu, Debian, and a few others, and during the
>>> years of
>>> experiments and playing around, I have come to know which things about a
>>> distribution that *I* value, and put the highest emphasis on. My last
>>> full-time
>>> desktop system was Ubuntu, through a few releases, but I came to realise
>>> that I
>>> didn't really want to install a new release every 6 months, and it was
>>> sometimes
>>> a bit too unstable for my taste, with too many unfixed bugs.
>>>
>>> A year ago, I switched to Debian Etch full time on my desktop. At the
>>> same time
>>> I realized I was becoming increasingly disappointed with Gnome, and so
>>> wanted to
>>> check out if Linus is right, and switched to KDE. And boy do I agree! I
>>> love
>>> KDE, and wouldn't switch for the world now.
>>>
>>> What my personal preferences in a desktop system amounts to are:
>>> - Highly stable
>>> - Bugs quickly resolved
>>> - New release about every 2 years
>>> - Good hardware support
>>> - A huge array of packages to choose from
>>> - A rock solid and versatile package manager/system
>>> - A window manager that doesn't get in my way, or tries to be smarter
>>> than me,
>>> but allows me to easily just configure things the way *I* like it.

> [...]

Some philosophy :)
World and computer are more and more complicated : the two are associated.

On Linux's world i have beginning with Debian because 5 or 6 years ago (i
don't remember) it was the only one i know it was free of charge. I had
trying to install it a lot of time but the problem was to configure my SAGEM
Fast 800 modem. All those files to configure : by what to begin, what to
configure and where ? Too complicated ... So : bye bye Debian, hello
Mandrake :)

1 or 2 years after : Mandrake globally works but there is a lot of things i
don't understand. What are those daemon (daemon, devil : it's russian for a
newbie who come's from Windows world. There is also daemon on Windows but i
didn't know). And i had an ATI graphic card and i was unable to install 3D
accelerated graphics on Mandrake, then NO great games : an OS without any
nice games who works ... too difficult :)).
So : bye bye Mandrake, we try another thing : it's a question of life or
death :))

Ok, ok, it's me ... i come again ! I wan't to be free with my PC, i spend
money for it since ten years and i don't wan't that's him who command me
(that was my feeling with Windows). Let's trying to work each other with : i
have more knowledge, perhaps it's possible and i have time (i had the chance
to have one PC - the oldest - with Mandrake and internet and the other one
with Debian).
Test, test and test, install after install. Reading (not writing, there is
so information that's not necessary) a lot on internet : thanks to all for
your time and competence !
And ...... modem works !!!! yes : the first challenge is a successfull : the
best stimulation to continue.
And ...... 3D acceleration works : the consecration for all this works. It's
the second more important things that make me keeping Debian at this time.

The rest is more simple, not important and comes naturally days after days.

So my own experience give me some idea and some feelings.
Sorry there is a lot of time i have not installing another Debian's box (i
have had my count on installing OS and Debian is too reliable :)) and
certainly a lot of idea i give below is already use. I have seen graphics
debian installer on magazine and i find it a very good idea, it looks very
nice and usefull.

First of all for me, OS must be simple to install and to use.
The best example i have found is gdm.
I use it since the beginning because it's nice. The reason is stupid but
it's like that :).
Before some month ago i don't find it very reliable : when i configure it on
it's own interface sometimes it reset (the only way : configure it with
gdmsetup on a console on root).
Today it seems to be reliable and i find it great.
I think it's an example to continue to follow for Debian and other.
I explain me :
there is a nice interface (Gtk ?), simple to use and very clear.
When you fly your mouse cursor over options : small help but clear.
Options are classify by theme on different tab : nice, simple, clear.
And for more hard option you still have /etc/gdm/gdm.conf (the Debian way is
preserved :).
Simplenest way is always the best.
Gdm interface is the way to follow for Debian i think.

For keeping newbie on Debian : help them.
A working Modem and 3D accelerated graphics is very important for all.

Use the installer to guide newbie for installing most frequent modem and on
all case, if it's not possible for some modem, an unique adress (Debian's
site for example :) where to find all information and material in an easy
way.
Example of site : a kind of internet page where you have box to choose the
model of your modem, the country, ... and then it provide the material
(driver and firmware to copy on /lib/firmware/) and parameter or in all
case, give you where to find them.
The example of CUPS is good i think :
http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi.

Use the same way and presentation for all (important and common) device :
modem, graphics card (less choice for graphics card that's sure but
providing same kind of easy help is necessary i think), printer (it's
already the case) and scanner.

I think if i have had this kind of help, i wouldn't go to see elsewhere :).
Hope this will be usefull for some other.