Re: Oops in Etch 40r3

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 02:23:44PM +0000, digbyt@skaro.afraid.org wrote:
> I have recently installed debain Etch 40r3 on an older Intel desktop
> which was previously reliably running a 2,4 Kernel SuSE system.
>
> The installation went pretty smoothly, and the system is being manly
> used as a firewall (Shorewall) for a local lan, and a Samba server.
>
> This morning it generated an oops as follows:

[snip the oops]

> Following this my ssh connections were still there, but after one or two
> commands would freeze on something. The system continues to respond to
> pings, but I can't start any new ssh connections.
>
> I need to get it rebooted to get more details on the installation.
>
> Before I spend too much time on it, does anyone know of this particular
> oops being a known problem?
>
> Any other thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Give us some hardware details.  CPU and speed, ram size, swap size, any
errors in /var/log/syslog?

You may want to install the memtest86+ package and run it when you can
spare the box for a while.  The package installs a grub line so that you
can boot into it and run the tests.  The problem could be a failing
memory module.

I suppose if the box had hit swap, it could be a PSU problem if the
drive was drawing too much, or it could be a disk problem (which should
show some errors in /var/log/syslog).

At least its an old box (I run them all the time) so troubleshooting
isn't too difficult.

Doug.