Re: [Totally OT] Re: Hmmm. A question. Was [Re: Debian is losing its users]

On Friday 11 April 2008 01:33:00 pm Damon L. Chesser wrote:

> It does?  News to me.  Again, study your history, longest un-interrupted
> economic growth in the history of the US.

Reagan was still starring in movies or acting as the president of the labor
union he was a member of during much of the boom of which you speak
(1945-1975).  Looking at all the GDP data for the US I could find poking
around BEA's website, GDP grew slower post 1981.  Total US exports levelled
off entirely during the Reagan years while imports continued to grow.
Private domestic investments declined while personal consumption expenditures
continued to grow.  The Dollar is now managing to hit record lows against
foreign currencies, breaking the lows we set in the Reagan years.  This is
all public record over at bea.gov.

So if you're going to pin the longest uninterrupted period of economic growth
in American history on Ronald Reagan, you should attribute it to him as Host
of General Electric Theater, not to him as President of the USA.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca