Re: [OT] reStructured Text real world usage

On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 20:12:03 -0700, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:

> Inspired by the easy to use wiki syntax, I've been looking around for
> similar markups that allow for basic "rich text" output.
>
> The most promising markup I came across is reStructured Text. It is quite
> straightforward to use and seems like it can output to pretty much
> anything out there. It is also implemented in Python I think, which I am
> quite familiar with, so that's a plus.
>
> Now, the situation is, I write a lot of notes in class on my laptop. I
> pretty much just use Vim and just type it out. . .
>
> Now, when I print this out...it is just as is. Sometimes I have some code
> written and I want it all "pretty printed" with the heading, italics, etc.

Maybe, but I'll encourage you to also take a look at AsciiDoc.

http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/nix/tool/asciidoc-usg/
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/nix/tool/asciidoc-syn/

because on closely read what you asked for and what the answers given, I
believe AsciiDoc beats all the suggestions so far.

- wiki, or markdown, their syntax are still not straight forward as AsciiDoc
- one-page wiki engine is nice, but I guess you would look at the source
of your note, than the presentation of it most of the time.
- latex, yes, I use it to write my thesis, but not to take notes.

The AsciiDoc syntax is near plain text. It is best for people who work on
the text source most of the time, e.g., for note taking IMHO. I use it
publish all the notes that I took. And it wasn't hard to follow/convert my
existing notes.

AsciiDoc is so well known that it has plug-ins that allows you do syntax
highlighting as well, for Vim & Emacs, etc. Here is one for Emacs

http://xpt.sourceforge.net/tools/doc-mode/

Take a look at the "1.2. Screen Shots" section, you will see how easy
AsciiDoc syntax is.

Moreover, AsciiDoc uses Python, which is a plus for you.

HTH

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)