Re: What to do to get loclized version of debian package ?

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 2:32 PM, Tzafrir Cohen  wrote:
On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 10:57:33AM +0300, Jabka Atu wrote:
> I see now that the translation are in source files.
> The question is how to make cups to use it ?
>
> On 4/10/08, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> > On 2008-04-10 23:05 +0200, Jabka Atu wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,..
> > >
> > > Cups in debian don't have the localized versions (Hebrew ,Spanish ,
> > > Italian etc..) - that allready in cups sources.
>

> I ment as there is no cupsys-it or cupsys-he as packages.
> I'm searching for away to make use of it without recompiling (altring
> makefile etc..) just by apt.

Separate per-language packaegs are only used in some extereme cases
where the translations are huge. In most cases they are just part of the
main package.

I would  disagree with you about that (the extreme situation):

Since cups is used in many companies and in some academic facilities you can be sure that the end users or IT-personal would prefer localized versions :

For example im working on a free  billing solution that end users without computer skills will operate.
I believe that using a localized version will be much easier than an english one for end users.

I use pykota as the user management
Cups.

The translation that the user has aren't so big (stored in doc) :
Pictures (buttons).
a Po file.

So a translated version could be :
full cups translated version -
 perhaps it can be done using some compile farm (i hope im using the right term) -
since the only difference between translated and non translated is a parameter to the Makefile.
but i don't wont to fork cups ;-)
Img - translation -
  Maybe using another package that will depend on cupsys and change it's files (the buttons and the css file).

about the next i don't know:
I don't know about the usability of translation  if you need to recompile the package and recreate it (this is what i understand that i need to do now).

btw i don't know what is a huge translation -
Since the Ophear's version (Hebrew translation) translated all the messages (the po file) .
The web gui  - he created all the buttons from scratch.
And changed the css file.

Afaik he changed the printing script.

If i have a mistake and you can change the gui / cli language just by one setting please explain how.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | tzafrir@jabber.org | VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il |                    | a Mutt's