Re: Why Installing php and pecl so difficult in Debian?

On 4/11/08, Rico Secada <coolzone@it.dk> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 22:10:33 +1000
>
> hce <webmail.hce@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
>  >
>  > I thought PHP is very common now days, but I found so difficult to
>  > install it in debian. The apt-get install can't find any php, pecl,
>  > php-xml packages.
>  >
>  > So, I have to downloaded php5_5.2.0-8+etch10_all.deb,
>  > php5-common_5.2.0-8+etch10_i386.deb and
>  > php5-cgi_5.2.0-8+etch10_i386.deb manually and installed them by dkpg.
>  > It installed php5-cgi, but on php binary in /usr/bin.
>  >
>  > People helped me to find dh-make-php - Creates Debian source packages
>  > for PHP PEAR and PECL extensions. Is it a right package for PHP5
>  > extension?
>  >
>  > How can I install all  php extensions by using apt-get?
>

> You have to know what specific package you need. PHP is supplied as
>  package name "php4" or "php5".
>
>  # apt-get install php5

I've already installed php5. But could not find pecl.

>  Would do the job.
>
>  Search for the packages you need:
>
>  # apt-cache search php | less

Yes, I did search pecl but confused by following results:

$ apt-cache search pecl
dh-make-php - Creates Debian source packages for PHP PEAR and PECL extensions
php-pear - PEAR - PHP Extension and Application Repository
php4-imagick - ImageMagick module for php4
php5-imagick - ImageMagick module for php5

And it was my question whether the dh-make-php is the right package
for PHP PECL package?

Thank you.

Jim