Re: bits/news from the users of Debian?

Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Saturday 05 April 2008 12:07:12 pm Goupil wrote:
>
>> I don't use popularity-contest package, i don't like the idea that my PC
>> is sending personal info. Sorry.
>
> I question whether or not you've looked at popularity-contest, since
> there's
> no personal info involved.
>

> --
> Paul Johnson
> baloo@ursine.ca

I would recommend replying to the list instead of replying directly.  You
can
feature instead of "Reply."

On Wednesday 09 April 2008 10:47:02 am you wrote:
>>> my PC

> > Quoted from:
> >
> http://www.nabble.com/bits-news-from-the-users-of-Debian--tp16382579p165175
> >82.html
> >
> > I know, i agree with you.
> > It's only because after using Windows for many years, I loose trust on
> OS.
> > Linux is not Windows, I know that and I see this all days.
> >
> > The other problem :
> > it install bsd-mailx, exim4, mailx and other.
> > I don't like installing those kind of packet i must configure and that i
> > don't use. It's a family use, I don't have any utility of mail's server
> and
> > i don't want to take time to configure them and my firewall.

A mail subsystem is used on Linux whether or not you exchange mail with the
outside world.  Now, if you don't exchange mail outside your site, that
would
be a good reason not to install popularity-contest.  Ensuring everything is
properly configured is always going to be the administrator's responsibility
regardless of operating system; them's the breaks.  Odds are there's a
private contractor willing to remotely manage your machines for you if
you're
unwilling or unable to do it yourself; http://debian.org/consultants/ would
be the best way to find one.

> > Is it possible
> > to make a popularity-contest package more simple to install without to
> > install mail server and who ask me if i am agree to send info each time
> and
> > no more than 1 times per month to send info to you ?

I'd like to make it clear that I am not a recipient of popcon reports, nor
am
I a Debian Developer working on that package; this would be a question
better
directed to someone who is working on that package or the Debian User list
proper.

> > Excuse me for asking  that, I am not a professional user and perhaps it
> is
> > for that reason you don't have a lot of user who install and use it

Debian is among the oldest, most respected distributions out there because
it
isn't specialized:  Debian's goal is to be the Universal Operating System.
It's not going to get there by handholding people, it's going to get there
by
providing the flexability to do almost anything anyone is going to throw at
it, and make it easy to adapt to fit more specialized needs.

> > (and what port on our firewall to open ?).

I'm afraid I don't understand the question, could you rephrase it?

-- Paul Johnson baloo@ursine.ca

Thank you for your mail :)
I was talking about popularity-contest package and ask if there was a port
to open on my firewall for that but perhaps it's a stupid question : it use
probably http port (already open).

I thought that the subject was to talk about us, explain our use of Debian
and if we use popularity-contest package it's why my answer was first, a
problem of trust on OS and second, to use it we must install other package
who aren't very easy to install and usefull for a family use (I like
Icedove, why using exim ? my system works without).

Sorry i have'nt a lot of time to discuss about philosophy on Debian : it's a
great operating system, I agree. I'm very happy with it, it's true. I don't
understand all my OS it's true and I don't want to spend my time to teach
about software I don't have the use. If i don't see a real utility of a
software, if i can i uninstall it.
Thanks for all your works ! It's great.
Bye :)