Re: [VERY OT while waiting for Lenny?] reminiscing on old computers

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 11:41:37AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 04/10/08 11:28, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:16:15AM -0400, Curt Howland wrote:
> > ..
> >
> >> Now, the boot messages scroll off so fast I can't read them, and the log
> >> doesn't pick up all of them. Some times I really miss being able to read them
> >> as they went by, especially when I see something "Gee, that doesn't look
> >> right..." and poof it's gone.
> >
> > I just never reboot... then I don't have to worry about those... And
> > with some of these kernel now soft rebooting, I never have to sit
>
> Soft rebooting?

I've seen this for a while now. When I call `sudo reboot`, it doesn't post
the motherboard or anything, just brings the system down and then the
kernel restarts. It's entirely possible that it's my fault
though.

I've played with kexec a little bit, and it seems very similar
to this. The physical hardware doesn't "reboot", just the system. I
don't even get a grub menu... Now I haven't exhaustively tested this
to see what's going on, so all I have is random anecdotal things.

hmmm... now I'm inspired to try it again and see what happens... but I
hate to lose tha precious precious uptime ...