Re: Firestarter dumping blocked events to console

On 04/09/2008 10:24 PM, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
Hi there,

I installed firestarter on Debian Etch. From my understanding it is pretty much a front end to the ipstarter firewall. Everything has been going great except for one minor annoyance...

Every time I connect to the campus network I get bombarded with broadcast SMB packets...fro my understanding, addresses of printers and shared drives...iTunes maybe?
[...]

Perhaps you need to set the logging message level through dmesg. Look at "man dmesg" and investigate the "-n" option.

Once you've found the correct value to provide for "-n," you would place the appropriate command in /etc/init.d/rc.local or a custom init script, e.g.:

dmesg -n4

On my own machine, I wouldn't have any reservation with placing the command inside of /etc/init.d/firestarter, but that's just me ;-)

Also, you can do the same thing by setting the "-c" option for klogd (/etc/init.d/klogd). Good luck.