Re: pecl package

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 10:12:46PM +1000, hce wrote:
> On 4/9/08, Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 07:52:31PM +1000, hce wrote:
> >  > Hi,
> >  >
> >  > I've installed php5 on my debian box. I've also tried to install pecl
> >  > package, but could not find it:
> >  >
> >  > ~$ sudo apt-get install pecl
> >  > Reading package lists... Done
> >  > Building dependency tree... Done
> >  > E: Couldn't find package pecl
> >  > ~$ sudo apt-get install pecl-dev
> >  > Reading package lists... Done
> >  > Building dependency tree... Done
> >  > E: Couldn't find package pecl-dev
> >  >
> >  > How can I find pecl package?
> >  >
> >  > Thank you.
> >

> > the package 'dh-make-php' says that it:
> >  creates Debian source packages for PHP PEAR and PECL extensions
> >
> >  Is that what you mean? [ this is just a basic package search ]
>
> I really don't know, I was  installing memcached for lighttpd, it was
> suggested by others that the "pecl install memcached" was required.
> Have no idea why installing lighttpd is so difficult.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jim
Hmm. It seems many languages' have been adding a private package
installation. Debian (and I expect others) package their own language
modules (for perl, ruby, php, etc.) and there may be a way to install
lightttpd without using this alternate method. These methods do not
register their packages with Debian so are unknown to dpkg. Debian
packages do not use these alternate methods to satisfy their
dependencies. I would expect the Debian developer to have packaged all
the required reverse dependencies, so if you have a problem installing
it, I'd suggest a bug report in the BTS. If its a popular add-on, then
the maintainer may want to package it. But the alternate methods make it
harder to Debian to keep things easy.
-K
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|