Re: Problem wth Java Runtime Environment Plugin for Iceweasel/Firefox...

On 04/09/2008 11:49 AM, Frank Charles Gallacher wrote:
Greetings,
[...]

Hello.

I need to work out how to install this manually, as it would appear that
the aptitude package is out of date. The Install Instructions have a
section for configuring JRE for Firefox, involving frigging around with
symlinks, etc, etc...

Please can anyone help me with:

1. How do I deinstall the plugin???
(is running "aptitude remove java-gcj-compat-plugin" the recommended
course of action???)

Yes.

2. Are there any gotchas with the manual install of JRE 6???

TIA, fcG.

I had to create a few symlinks for java to work. For the plugin, you want to create a symlink in ~/.mozilla/plugins/ to one of the plugin binaries in the Java plugins directory. For example, if you installed JRE to /usr/local/share/jre1.6:

cd ~/.mozilla/plugins
ln -s /usr/local/share/jre1.6/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so .

Don't necessarily follow these instructions exactly. There are two java plugins in the Sun java package, but only one will be appropriate for your system. Examine /usr/local/share/jre1.6/plugin.

Symlinks in /usr/local/bin for java and javaws might also benefit you when using other programs. Good luck.