Re: grep trick

Chris,

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008, Chris Bannister wrote:

In your .bashrc put:

export GREP_COLOR=33
alias grep='grep --colour=always'

Very cool tip!! In my case, however, my .cshrc file might be a better choice since I don't use bash, and of course the syntax is different. As someone else pointed out the above will break scripts that use grep. A moment or two of Googling turned up another option. If one uses --color=auto, it will colorize output going to a terminal but won't if the output is piped to another command or redirected to a file. The downside is that with --color=auto output piped to less -r doesn't get colorized. I'm sure there's a creative way to keep from breaking existing scripts and still be able to view colorized output via less.

You can always try different values of GREP_COLOR. Although I can't seem to get yellow.

After another moment of Googling, for yellow, use:

setenv GREP_COLOR '1;33'

or your shell's equivalent.

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net