Re: how to upgrade to a 64-bit mobo?

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Millions(?) must have done this but googling left doubts.
>
> I'm thinking of upgrading my EP-8VTAI 32-bit mobo to an ASUS M2N-SLI
> which is 64-bit.
>
> I now run one Sid system that is pure i386.
>
> What is best?
>
> 1. install the ASUS M2N-SLI into a new box and keep the old box.

I did this about a month ago. ASUS M2N-SLI motherboard with an AMD
Athlon X2 5600 processor. I built the box and put in the old hard disk.
Booted with a live CD and changed the menu.lst as it was the second HDD
on the old PC (and the only one in the new one). No, I didn't change my
system to a 64-bit one.

> 2. install the ASUS M2N-SLI into the present box but then I have 4 HDD's
> with only 32-bit Sid.

Shouldn't be a problem if you can connect all of your HDD to the
motherboard. The M2N-SLI has only 1 IDE port and 6 SATA ports. All you
would need to do is make sure the hard disks are detected in the same
order by the new motherboard. If not you will need to change menu.lst
and possibly /etc/fstab too.

> Many must have faced this question. Pointers?
>
> Hugo

Good luck.
KS
PS: nice motherboard, I love all the sensors which it has.