Re: Need to reboot Debian frequently

Jeff D wrote:
While not having used asterisk myself, I would suggest not running firefox
on a machine that is some what critical of uptime.  Firefox itself will
eat up huge amounts of memory.  I would also suggest not running X on it
at all if at all possible.  Trimming out just X will cut all of that and
should leave you with a server that will stay up for a good long while.

Don't run X if you don't need to.  Or only run X when necessary, and
exit when you are done.  (Don't start it automatically with .bashrc or
an init script.)

The new Firefox 3 beta 5 really plays nice with memory.  If you can't
use lynx, and/or need a GUI, Firefox 3 is far superior to Firefox 2.

--
Mark Allums