Re: 32 or 64 bit on DELL INSPIRON celeron

Boris Epstein wrote:
64-bit Java for Linux is not quit ethere yet, so if you intend to use the machien as a workstation - which most likely you do - running 32-bit Linux probably makes more sense at the moment.

SNIP

Boris,

I do not know about 64-bit Java for Linux being not quite there. I am running sun-java6-bin 6-05-1 per dpkg -l . No issues seen by me. I do not code in java so I can't speak to that. If you install debain amd64, it also installs ia32libs with will allow you to run some (most?) 32bit programs as well, with out a chroot. AFAIK, you could install 32bit java just fine (you will have to use dpkg -i --force-architecture packagenamefor32bitjava.deb (see dpkg --force-help). Again, I run a 64bit OS, sometimes debian Sid, sometimes Ubuntu (as the mode strikes me, I re-install) and have been for quite a long time. It works.

Flash is the only application I see issues with. npviewer.bin gets stuck and new flash video will not play until you kill that process (I run non-free flash from Adobe). OO, FF (with all the webthingies) totem-xine (with all the codex) and Sun Java JRE6. I don't know if npviewer.bin would get stuck on a 32bit machine. I have not had one in a long time.
YMMV

HTH

    --
    Damon L. Chesser