Re: Need to reboot Debian frequently

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008, Pete Kay wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here is my w,free, top results when my linux server's network become too
> slow again ( it just happened).

<snip>
> w output:
>  19:41:19 up 1 day, 20:07,  6 users,  load average: 1.46, 1.85, 1.86
> USER     TTY      FROM              LOGIN@   IDLE   JCPU   PCPU WHAT
> anne     :0       -                Thu23   ?xdm?  26:59   0.87s
> x-session-manag
> root     pts/2    :0.0             Thu23   19:28  56.31s 56.29s asterisk
> -vvvvv
>  6623 anne      15   0  337m 145m  26m S   24 14.5 169:28.67 firefox-bin
>  5574 anne      15   0 67260  17m  11m S    0  1.8   0:08.40 nautilus

<snip>

> For the tcpdump, I have to apt-get install it first and then wait under the
> server's network becomes too slow again the next
>  time.
> By the way, when the network becomes slow, the linux server can still run
> fine without any slowness.  This Linux box is behind a router which has two
> computers ( one linux and one vista ) under its network.
>
> How could I solve this problem?  What worries me is that I am consistently
> having to reboot 2 - 3 days which means my server is still not ready for
> production.
>
> Please help me.
>
> Thanks,
> Pete

While not having used asterisk myself, I would suggest not running firefox
on a machine that is some what critical of uptime.  Firefox itself will
eat up huge amounts of memory.  I would also suggest not running X on it
at all if at all possible.  Trimming out just X will cut all of that and
should leave you with a server that will stay up for a good long while.

hth,
jeff
 --
8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Techno.