Re: [Totally OT] Re: Hmmm. A question. Was [Re: Debian is losing its users]

On Friday 04 April 2008, Michael C wrote:
> Hal Vaughan wrote:

> >> RMS is more of a hypocrite than anything else. He morally objects
> >> to distros/*BSD variants with non-free applications in their
> >> repositories/ports systems, on the grounds that this implicitly
> >> advocates the use of non-free software, whilst explicitly
> >> advocating GPL-licensed software for use in conjunction with that
> >> ultimate proprietary platform, MS Windows:
> >> http://www.gnu.org/software/for-windows.html
> >
> > I think what RMS objects to is anything that was not his idea
> > first.
> >
> > Hal
>
> Honi soit qui mal y pense!

Merde!

Granted that's just my opinion, based on what I've read and less than 2
1/2 hours at one of his talks (including some time talking to him
afterwards), so I could be way off base, but I did get the sense that
his world definitely starts and ends with his own views -- and
basically contains only his views.

> The FSF's list curiously doesn't mention the GNU Foundation's support
> for the Win32 port of emacs and gcc:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html

I admire RMS and a lot of what he's done.  I'm currently working on
source for controlling an HD radio in C++ so I'm using gcc, based on
his earlier version and he did write emacs (isn't that an OS or
religion?).  That doesn't mean that I think he carries things too far.

But then again, maybe it's that blindness and need of his to go too far
that has achieved what he has.

Hal