Re: fixing .txt files sent from a MS$ user

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 11:39:55AM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> My niece sends some of her schoolwork to my wife (e.g. essays) for her
> to read.  First she sent .doc files which I can't access properly (no, I
> do no run OO) although I could get the jist.  I then suggested that she
> send plain text.
>
> I don't run any locales but have LANG=C.
>
> Her plain-text files are fine, except that apostrophies (singel-quote)
> (') are replaced with "\222", opening quotes (") with "\223", and
> closing quotes (") with "\224".
>
> Other than writing a python script, can someone give me a simple command
> to fix this so that it is not so distracting?  Ideally, I'd put it into
> an executable file and pipe the file through it on it's way to lpr.
>
> e.g.
> $ cool-writing.txt | antiAJ | lpr -Pepson

Here is a sample line from one of the files:

inside. I’m tired of the term “Best Friends” because what does it

I see in vim that \222 is ~R, \223 is ~S, and \224 is ~T.  It is on the
printout (lpd/apsfilter/enscript) that the numbers come out.

Thanks,

Doug.