Re: debian and cryptography perfomance (shibboleth)

graham wrote:
Hi,

I was going to try experimenting with Shibboleth on Debian when I ran into the following warning:

"Debian Users, Stop!
Debian 4.0 has shown very poor cryptographic operation performance during our testing. Since the IdP spends a great deal of its time, per request, doing cryptography this performance problem leads us to recommend deployers not use Debian as an IdP-hosting OS."

It appears this was a misunderstanding; the warning has now been removed. There are no problems running shibboleth on debian. See the shibboleth mailing list for discussion.

Graham

https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/SHIB2/IdPInstall

There is a little discussion of this on the Shibboleth mailing list,
starting at:

https://mail.internet2.edu/wws/arc/shibboleth-users/2008-03/msg00265.html

which says they have come to no conclusions about the reasons for the poor performance. Google doesn't give me much, but maybe I'm not using the right search terms as I'm unclear where the reasons could be.

Is bad performance with cryptographic algorithms a known issue with any current debian packages? I would really prefer not to have to install RH on my machines...

Graham