DRI not working with latest lenny

I recently updated lenny to pick up the new 2.6.24 kernel. Since then DRI is not working for me:

(II) intel(0): [drm] DRM interface version 1.0
(II) intel(0): [drm] drmSetBusid failed (8, pci:0000:00:02.0), Permission denied
(EE) intel(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed. Disabling DRI.

I've checked dmesg for DRM working, and it is. I've also made sure permissions are ok, and they are. So I'm thinking it might be the problem people have reported with the i915 kernel module being compiled with a different version of gcc than the kernel itself.

Is there an easy way to just recompile the i915 module (ala module-assistant method) without having to download the entire kernel source?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks.

www.yahoo7.com.au/y7mail