Re: SSH through wireless router

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008, Haines Brown wrote:

> I have a laptop (sidux on Thinkpad X61s) that connects via wi-fi to
> the wireless router connected to my desktop machine (etch) via CAT5,
> which has the name "teufel".
>
> I can connect to the router, which I name "router", by:
>
>   $ ssh router
>
> but then I'm stuck with the password. I've tried the password I use to
> administer the router without luck.
>
> I actually don't want to connect to the router, but to the desktop using
> the router. The name and address of that machine on the LAN is
> listed in the SSH client's /etc/hosts file, and so I tried $ ssh
> teufel. However, I can't even connect: Connection is closed by remote host
>
> Can't I access all machines connected to the router and running a SSH
> server merely by using those machines' names for the ssh command?

You might need to access the router from your desktop at first.  I seem to
remember a lot of routers only allow connections from LAN ports and not
wireless.  Though, yours could be different.  Do you have any firewall
rules running on the router itself?  I would check to make sure that its
not blocking ssh or any other service you might need.

--
8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Techno.