Re: What are these folders in home?

On 31/03/2008, Rich Healey <healey.rich@gmail.com> wrote:

>  > ~/.java/ (java is a system-wide app, no? Can I erase this? I use
>  > OpenOffice, which I know has a java dependency)
>
> personal settings for java

I do not remember ever setting personal settings for java, in fact, I
was unaware that any settings could be set.

>  > ~/..DCOPserver_feisty-laptop__0
>
> ll of these are the KDE process interaction server

Thanks. I figured that they were KDE related because of the term DCOP
but I did not realize that there was need of an interactive server.

>  > ~/.fishsrv.pl
>
> The kde SMBFS frontend

Unusual, as I've never used samba

>  > ~/.odbc.ini
>
> database settings

I have no database. At least, no MySQL, Oracle, or other 'database'.
Maybe some programs use sqlite, but that shouldn't be related.

>  > ~/.rnd
>  random seed

Thanks.

>  > ~/.Xauthority
>  Settings for usermode creation of Xservers

Thanks.

> > ~/.xsession-errors (this one is 98 MB)
>
> ... the errors from you\r xsessions...? :P

Can it be erased? I've no need to troubleshoot as I'm not experiencing
any problems that I know about.

> ... you could probably just google themm..

Most of the files that aren't listed here I did google, but those that
had me confused I asked. I'm more of a lurker than a poster on this
list, and I know to STFW before consuming bandwidth. Thanks!

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il