Re: Reg Blind

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 09:11:13PM +0000, Suzy Hesketh wrote:
Hi

I am registered blind but I do have some limited sight.

I have never used Debian but I have looked at Dream.
My IRC administrator uses Debian and so does my friend who runs the UK server
and he has asked me to be an Operator on the server with him, so the server is
covered while he is not available.
So I have decided to have a go at learning Debian.  Would you please tell me if
there is a live version of the programme that I can use so I can get the feel
of it before installing the full package?

You can find information about Debian Live CD's here: http://search.aol.com/aol/search?query=debian+live+cd

Here is a direct link: http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/

Knoppix is also an excellent Linux Live CD. Knoppix is based upon Debian; however, Knoppix is not Debian.

Unbuntu is a very different O/S also based on Debian. Some vendors sell versions of Ubuntu that boot from USB keys.

Also is there any way for me to change the screen setting on Debian, so I can
make it easier for me to see?

As root, do "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" and select the lower screen resolutions.

Thank you very much for your help with this.  I look forward very much to
hearing from you soon.

Suzy

Welcome to Debian and good luck Suzy.