Re: AT Package Requires Courier MTA

Jochen Schulz wrote:
Andrei Popescu:
at depends on mail-transport-agent provided by courier-mta. Just pick your favorite and install it along with at like:

aptitude install at postfix

Or to get a list of all packages providing mail-transport-agent:

$ aptitude search ~Pmail-transport-agent
p   bongoproject-mta                    - Integrated mail and calendar
p   citadel-mta                         - complete and feature-rich
p   courier-mta                         - Courier mail server - ESMTP
p   esmtp-run                           - User configurable relay-only
p   exim                                - An obsolete MTA (Mail
p   exim4-daemon-heavy                  - Exim MTA (v4) daemon with
p   exim4-daemon-light                  - lightweight Exim MTA (v4)
p   masqmail                            - A mailer for hosts without
p   msmtp-mta                           - light SMTP client with support
p   nbsmtp                              - Simple MTA to send your mails
p   nullmailer                          - simple relay-only mail
i   postfix                             - High-performance mail
p   sendmail-bin                        - powerful, efficient, and
p   smail                               - Electronic mail transport
p   ssmtp                               - extremely simple MTA to get
p   xmail                               - advanced, fast and reliable

(The list might look slightly different on your system.)

J.
Hi, thanks for the answers. I guess I need to dig deeper into apt and dpkg. I deinstalled at and the courier packages then did (soory that some of it is in German, but you can see the packet names):

# apt-get  install at
Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut... Fertig
Die folgenden zusätzlichen Pakete werden installiert:
courier-authdaemon courier-authlib courier-authlib-userdb courier-base courier-mta

So I installed what it suggested.

But, looking into the package I can see that it needs just an MTA, as was described to me:

# apt-cache showpkg at
Package: at
Versions:
3.1.10(/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.hosteurope.de_pub_linux_debian_dists_etch_main_binary-arm_Packages)(/var/lib/dpkg/status)

Reverse Depends:
  mirror,at
  lsb-core,at
  gnome-schedule,at
  gato,at
  devscripts,at
Dependencies:
3.1.10 - libc6 (2 2.3.5-1) libpam0g (2 0.76) mail-transport-agent (0 (null)) lsb-base (2 3.0-10)
Provides:
3.1.10 -
Reverse Provides:

As suggested I tried the following:

# apt-get install at exim4-daemon-light
Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut... Fertig
Die folgenden zusätzlichen Pakete werden installiert:
courier-authdaemon courier-authlib courier-authlib-userdb courier-base exim4-base exim4-config
Vorgeschlagene Pakete:
eximon4 exim4-doc-html exim4-doc-info gnutls-bin openssl libmail-spf-query-perl
Die folgenden NEUEN Pakete werden installiert:
at courier-authdaemon courier-authlib courier-authlib-userdb courier-base exim4-base exim4-config exim4-daemon-light

So apt-get wanted to install courier and exim4!

Then tried:

 aptitude install at exim4-daemon-light
Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut... Fertig
Lese erweiterte Statusinformationen
Initialisiere Paketstatus... Fertig
Lese Task-Beschreibungen... Fertig
Erzeuge Tag-Datenbank... Fertig
Die folgenden NEUEN Pakete werden zusätzlich automatisch installiert:
  exim4-base exim4-config

That seemed to work, but with errors as exim etc. needs some configuration. But that has solved the dependency problem as far as I can see.

So thanks very much for the tips.

Cheers Brian