Re: gnuplot: plotting each point in different color

H.S. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have tried Gnuplot mailing list and the newsgroup but didn't get the
> help I was looking for. So here my try there.
>
> Given a data file:
> ######### 3cols.dat #########
> 0.2846    0.1857          1
> 0.8283    0.1330          2
> 0.3306    0.8348          3
> 0.7961    0.7968          4
> #############################
>
> I want to plot the 2-D points given by first two columns in a color
> given by the their label in the last column. The color doesn't matter,
> only that points with a particular label are plotted with the same color.
>
> Here is what I have so far:
> set pm3d

This is to plot 3d surfaces in a 2d representation. You only have two
coordinates, ie a 2d plot.

I did:

set palette
splot '3cols.dat' us 1:2:3 w p palette

I don't know if that's what you want?

> set palette rgb 33,13,10
> set view map
> set cbrange [1:4]
> ssplot "3cols.dat" with points palette pt 9
>

> However, a knowledgeable soul at the Gnuplot mailing list has informed
> me that using pm3d is a bad idea (the above command spews out warnings
> about not enough isosamples) and I should use 'plot' command for this.
> But he did not follow that up with a little example.

The knowledgeable soul told you to read the manual.

# aptitude install gnuplot-doc

as ordinary user within a directory for personal documentation:
$ cp /usr/share/doc/gnuplot-doc/gnuplot.ps.gz .
$ gunzip gnuplot.ps.gz
$ ps2pdf gnuplot.ps
$ kpdf gnuplot.pdf

You'll want to read pp. 64ff. (For me this is more convenient, but of
course there are other ways to read the gzipped ps.)

HTH,

Johannes