Re: Merging all 30+ Debian CD's onto hard drive

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 17:02:18 -0700, Michael Paulsen wrote:
> On 3/20/08, Michael Paulsen wrote:
> > Hi ya,
> >
> > Debian Etch now has over 30 CD's. I'm bored with CD swapping every
> > time I want to install a new package. Is it possible to merge the CD's
> > to my hard drive and direct APT or DPKG to use the hard drive instead
> > of all the CD's when installing new packages? What would the be the
> > easiest way to do this?
> >
> > Thank You,
> > mtp5150
> >

> STATUS: Completed, Solved
>
> Hi Ya,
>
> First off let me thank all of you for providing input, advice, and
> support.  I have successfully merged all of the CDs on to a hard drive
> partition and it is working with one minor glitch.  I keep getting the
> following error, "warning the following packages cannot be
> authenticated".  APT-GET INSTALL does allow me to continue, so
> everything is working.  I just don't know how to resolve this error
> message, yet.

You can try to put

APT::Authentication::TrustCDROM "true";

into a file in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/. This gets rid of the warning
message for CDrom sources, but I am not sure if it will work for your
configuration: I assume that you use a "file" declaration in your
sources.list to refer to your merged archive on the hard disk. If this
is not covered by the TrustCDROM directive (I never tried) then you may
have to go through the procedure described in the ARCHIVE CONFIGURATION
section of "man apt-secure".

          Florian   |