Re: dependencies woes with Debian MediaWiki package
On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 07:38:36PM +0100, Simon Jolle sjolle <firstname.lastname@example.org> was heard to say:
> I have here VDS with minimal Debian installation. Why Debian wish to
> install me Firefox, Gnome/GTK+ components, X11 components, Latex, Sound
> server, portmap, quite enough libraries etc.
I apologize for taking so long to get back to you.
I asked whether you were running etch because the unstable/testing
version of mediawiki doesn't have dependencies that would pull in the
stuff you're talking about. I've taken a brief look at the stable
version, and I think I see what's happening. You can probably install
links or add --without-recommends to the command-line to get a saner
* Mozilla: iceape-browser gets installed because tetex-doc recommends
it. tetex-doc is recommended by tetex-base, which is
pulled in by tetex-bin.
This is the cause of most of your problems; if you install
a text-mode browser like links, it will fulfill this
dependency and iceape won't get installed.
* Gnome/GTK+: pulled in by Mozilla, as far as I can tell.
* X11: some of these are really necessary. mediawiki-math needs latex
and Ghostscript components, and these depend on X11 libraries
because they manipulate X11 fonts and/or can connect to an X server.
* Latex: for mediawiki-math.
* Sound server: I think this is pulled in by Gnome/GTK+.
* portmap: Pulled in by fam (part of Gnome)