Re: Upgrade from Sarge to Etch Satisfactorily Completed

> On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 03:37:18PM -0400, alan@patriot.net wrote:
>>

>> > image, boot from it, make a minimal install and then continue with the
>> > DVDs (instead of installing sarge and upgrading to etch)?
>>         Hi, Andrei, thanks for your suggestion.  Unfortunately my (quite
>>         old) computer can boot _only_ from hard drive or CD, not from
>>         any other apparatus.  I have done a _lot_ of checking on the
>>         BIOS, trust me!
>
> I don't doubt that, that's why I suggested the netinstall image, because
> it can go on a CD and is small enough not to take too long.
       Hi, Andrei, I guess you know something I don't know(not that
       that's a surprise<g>)  Why would I take my netinstall file
       (167 Mb) and put it on a CD unless the CD was _bootable_?
       The CD would have to be made bootable, and would have I guess
       to have an initrd-img on it as well.

       When I burn a CD, I use mkisofs and cdrecord.  I don't know
       any other way.  Maybe you, or some other expert, should write
       a nice mini-HOWTO about how to do all this.

>> that burning those to a CD which was then also to be bootable was
>> way beyond my meager capabilities.
>
> But how did you burn the DVDs?
      <LOL>  I didn't.  "I bought 'em at a shop".  At CheapBytes,
      a nice on-line store for Linux and BSD ware.

Best wishes,

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://patriot.net/users/alan
    There are many good Impeachment sites; one of the best is: