Re: gnome-network-manager broken? In testing, that is.

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 7:31 AM, Chris Bannister
<mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz> wrote:
> Well, you are running the testing distribution, which means you are
> one of the testers of the next stable release.

That's exactly what maintainers think. Me not. I use testing since it came up in potatoe times. The important changes came twice or three times a week with every upgrade. I did upgrade continuously also when distribution names changed, and every now and then I installed a new kernel.

Of course there were problems I felt unable to solve when they showed up. Most of them vanished after the next or the next but one upgrade. Others did not. I solved them by googling or - in the words of my dog - by following my nose. In the worst cases I found the solution by posting to this list and realizing the answers. There was some kind of learning by doing, but no intentional learning with system or persistence - not after I retired from teaching and so seventeen years ago.

What Debian calls 'Testing' is simply 'Desktop' for me, and I am sure for most of its users. 'Stable' is dusty and musty months over months _before_ any new release. Curiosity and the shortness of lifetime left forbids archeologic occupation with it.

For sure you can hardly believe it, but I feel totally happy with using 'Testing'. There is absolutely no bad conscience and absolutely no fear of exceeding the abilities of my 'nose', and there is not the slightest idea or intention to test any next future fossil called 'stable'.

Yours
Hans

--
To reduce spam this address accepts only mails 'To:' subscribed lists.
Zur Verminderung von Spam akzeptiert diese Adresse nur Mails 'An:' abonnierte Listen.