Re: How to set thunderbird to work with localmail

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 13:11:09 -0400, Jabka Atu wrote:
> Hello,..
>
> How should i set Thunderbird to work with local mail :
> for instance Kmail  know's how to access /var/mail/username and get
> messages from there.
>
> I tried to search an option inside thunderbird (icedove) but didn't
> found one.

You have to set up a movemail account if you want to access folders in
/var/mail directly:

http://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Help_Documentation:Creating_an_Account#Creating_a_Movemail_Account
http://wp.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/2.0/relnotes/demo/movemail.html

It seems that the configuration dialog for this type of account is
broken in some versions of icedove:

It may be possible to work around the bug by creating an additional pop3
account and converting it to a movemail account afterwards:

http://www.mozilla.org/mailnews/movemail/

It should not be necessary to edit prefs.js directly, the config editor
gives you access to the mail.server.serverX.type settings as well.
(Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Config Editor...)

You might furthermore want to use an external movemail command,
typically the one from the "mailutils" package, to have the option to
preserve the original messages in /var/mail. The relevant config
settings are mail.use_builtin_movemail and mail.movemail_program.

(Disclaimer: I never actually tried the above workaround. Movemail
 accounts worked fine for me with Mozilla, but I never used thunderbird
 or icedove long enough to know if that feature has been preserved
 properly. It might be safer to run a local imap server for icedove to
 access.)

          Florian   |