Setting up a HA server with limited resources

Hi.

A customer with very limited resources needs to set up a high available
system running apache, mysql, postfix and dovecot and I have gotten the
task.

I have only two Pentium 4 machines at my disposal, and I have begun
researching how to make them work with load balancing and fail safe
operations at the same time. I have one public IP address available.

I would like to reach a state, if possible, in which load balancing is
performed, but at the same time, if one machine fails, the other will
automatically take over. I believe this setup is also very useful when
deploying updates.

Any advice on how to implement such a setup?

Best regards.

Rico.