Re: Virtualbox problem - Debian kernel header version?

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 05:44:44PM +0000, Russell Gadd wrote:
I'm trying to install Virtualbox Guest addtions and at one point the
recommended install procedure says do
aptitude install build-essential kernel-header-`uname -r`

The kernel-header bit comes out as kernel-header-2.6.18-6-686
Aptitude reports "could'nt find any package whose name or description
matched kernel-header-2.6.18-6-686"

When I go into aptitude and search for kernel-header the package I find is
linux-kernel-headers  with a version number of 2.6.18-7 (which is installed)

I find the 7 a bit confusing as the installed kernel is 2.6.18-6 which is
the one on the latest r3 release iso.

I know naught of Virtualbox, but I think the package you probably want
is 'linux-headers-2.6-686', the meta-package that depends on the latest
kernel headers for 686 architecture, *or* you could install the latest
directly with 'linux-headers-2.6.18-6-686'

As always, great help from you Andrew. I installed linux-headers-2.6.18-6-686 with aptitude and the installation worked. Maybe if I'd searched in aptitude for headers instead of kernel-headers I would have found it before. Gradually I'm learning more about Debian.

Thanks again - much appreciated.

Russell