installed dmraid and cannot reboot

Hands up to making a mistake - I've been trying to get my AMD64 Debian 'etch' box to recognise a Promise controller and thought that installing dmraid would help. I did a
	 apt-get install dmraid
and then rebooted... only to find it in BusyBox with a initramfs prompt and no idea as how to recover to a working system...

I can see it's trying to run some /scripts and then kinit does something before attempting to 'resume' and saying there is no resume image then trying a normal boot but saying it can not read the image (then many more lines of complaints but am unsure how to copy to another machine)

Any ideas? I'd guess rebooting somehow without these scripts and then removing dmraid would return me to a wokring system but I'm unsure how to do even this!

Many thanks, Michael