Re: Detached device and boot auto mount

Tero Mäntyvaara wrote:
Hi

I have added a IDE/PATA swap rack mount into /etc/fstab. Every time I boot and there is no device in the rack, boot stops (asks to press Ctrl+D or something) after automount detects that there is no hd in rack. Is there a way to prevent this stop?.

Tero Mäntyvaara

Change the fourth column to include 'noauto'.  For example:

  /dev/md1    /data        ext3  defaults     0    2

to:

  /dev/md1    /data        ext3  defaults,noauto     0    2

This will at least stop the automatic mounting of the device. But, to be able to use it when you do have it, you may need more:

  /dev/md1    /data        ext3  defaults,noauto,user     0    2

You might want to look into using automounting features of autofs. This allows the system to deal with the device when someone or something tries to use it and leaves it alone otherwise. This would mean removing the line from fstab and setting up the automounter daemon.

A good tutorial can be found at http://www.debian-administration.org, from the main page just search for 'automounter' (I think; the system is currently not available to verify. If it doesn't work, autofs.)

--
Bob McGowan