aptitude and distribution names in trivial repositories

Hi,

I use a very trivial repository, i.e. a flat directory, for a couple of self-written packages. Its entry in sources.list looks like this:
  deb ftp://pub/linux/debository ./
Whenever I add something to the repository, its release file is updated by
  apt-ftparchive -c ~/.ftparchive.conf release . > Release
with a line
  APT::FTPArchive::Release::Codename "etch";
amongst others in ~/.ftparchive.conf.

I would like to switch to a more structured repository with subdirectories, e.g.
  deb ftp://pub/linux/debository main/
  deb ftp://pub/linux/debository test/
So I moved the packages to their subdirectories and extended the call to apt-ftparchive to respect the subdir, e.g.
  apt-ftparchive -c ~/.ftparchive.conf release main > main/Release
But now
  aptitude update
results in a warnings like
  W: Conflicting distribution: file: main/ Release (expected main but got etch)

Where's my mistake? Is the code name (distribution) really dictated by the subdirectory name? It seems to me that aptitude does not differentiate between a trivial repository and an automatic repository here, i.e. its treating the subdirectory as if it was a distribution in an sources.list entry like
  deb ftp://pub/linux/debository etch main test

Thanks, Malte