Re: Detached device and boot auto mount

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 05:34:55PM +0200, Tero M?ntyvaara wrote:
> I have added a IDE/PATA swap rack mount into /etc/fstab. Every time I
> boot and there is no device in the rack, boot stops (asks to press
> Ctrl+D or something) after automount detects that there is no hd in
> rack. Is there a way to prevent this stop?.

To clarify, you have all your drives available at boot but you may not
have a swap partition available at boot?

I'd suggest having a bit of swap always available, then write an
initscript to be run just after the normal script that runs swapon.
This script should test for the presence of the variable disk and run
swapon against that drive if it is found.  See man swapon, and note that
in fstab, swapon -a will not mount swap lines that contain the noauto
option.

This way, the box will always boot.

Doug.