Re: etch netinst tasksel "standard system" (was Re: RAID1 Boot Partition)

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 01:41:08AM -0800, Ken Irving wrote:

> That sounds plausible, but how do you know that?  I was curious since
> the "standard system" option apparently is new in the etch installer,
> and previously I was used to not selecting anything from the tasksel
> dialog.  Anyway, brute experimentation shows the following 73 packages
> are installed iff the "standard system" option is selected:
>
>     at                  libidn11         perl-modules
>     bc                  libisc11         pidentd
>     bind9-host          libkrb53         policycoreutils
>     dc                  liblockfile1     portmap
>     dictionaries-common liblwres9        procmail
>     dnsutils            libmagic1        python
>     doc-debian          libnfsidmap2     python-central
>     doc-linux-text      libpcre3         python-minimal
>     exim4               librpcsecgss3    python-newt
>     exim4-base          libsemanage1     python-selinux
>     exim4-config        libtasn1-3-bin   python-semanage
>     exim4-daemon-light  lsof             python-support
>     file                m4               reportbug
>     finger              mailx            selinux-policy-refpolicy-target
>     ftp                 mime-support     sharutils
>     gettext-base        mpack            strace
>     iamerican           mtools           tcsh
>     ibritish            mtr-tiny         telnet
>     ispell              mutt             texinfo
>     less                ncurses-term     time
>     libbind9-0          nfs-common       w3m
>     libdns22            openssh-client   wamerican
>     libevent1           patch            whois
>     libgc1c2            pciutils
>     libgpmg1            perl
>
> I think this looks like the what you'd get with a minimal install in
> previous debian stables.  It's nice to have the option for an even
> minimaler minimal install now.

I don't see the compiler.  The first Etch install I did (back when it
was testing), it dragged in the compiler and would have taken me
something like 24 hrs to download, which was when I discovered that a
minimal install was faster.  I only use the compiler when I'm ready to
write something in Ada.

Doug.