acpid

I am running Debian testing on amd64.  About a week ago acpid began
reporting an error status whenever I "apt-get upgrade" or use synapsis
from gnome:

Setting up acpid (1.0.4-7.1) ...
Starting Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
daemon...invoke-rc.d: initscript acpid, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing acpid (--configure):
 acpid

I believe this to be due to acpid already running.

Byron